Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Great Granola Secret







Well, I've had little to add in the past 2 weeks since my diet is almost comically restricted these days. One tiny little liver infection and I can't eat dairy, most fats, excess protein, or sugar, everything is to be homemade from scratch and organic, plus there's a candida diet to follow that involves no fruit or natural sugars, bread, wheat, white rice etc.  Now, personally I love the challenge and have been eating wonderful things, and tons of amazing vegetables, but such natural, simple things that there's hardly anything to report. (Well, actually, I think I've perfected my cheela recipe, but have yet to write down the quantities for you.) Anyway, I thought that while I eat my steamed greens and buckwheat, I'd take the opportunity to share some of my family's best loved classics.

My mom's granola is well known among my friends -- so much so that in university (when it would arrive by post as the main staple of all care packages) I'd have to hide at least part of it, or roommates and friends would finish it off in a day. I've also never been able eat store bought granola as it's just, well, not very good in comparison. I believe the key to granola is simplicity. And maple syrup.

Some notes on the ingredients: This recipe has been adapted by mom to my taste, ie. there is extra maple syrup in it. The 3/4 C of maple syrup can be cut back to 1/2 C and it will still be delicious. Concerning substitution, there isn't really any healthy substitute for the maple syrup in this recipe. And for the best granola use the best quality syrup (we are a little spoiled in this regard, coming from Old Order Mennonite country). Please do not bake with honey! (And for day to day use please do buy unpasteurized honey.) Overheating honey makes an otherwise wonderful thing into a substance that your body will treat like a toxin. Eeps! 

As for the mixed whole grains, we buy them pre-mixed in the bulk section of our local natural food store. Any mix of rolled and flaked grains will do (ie. they should look like oatmeal). If you don't have access to a variety of these grains, you can settle for whole rolled oats.

5-6 C mixed whole grains (oats, spelt, kamut, barley, rice, etc)
1 C coconut (dried, grated, unsweetened)
1 C sunflower seeds
1 C nuts (whichever... almonds, cashews, brazil nuts are great)
1/2 C sesame seeds

mix these guys together in one or two large baking pans (preferably one with edges for less mess and easy stirring) and add

1/2 C oil
3/4 C maple syrup

that have already been mixed together well. Stir. Bake at 350 for 30 mins, stirring every 7-10 minutes. Let it cool before storing in an airtight container.

Keep in the fridge. (Or in freezer. It freezes well and thaws quickly). Serve with milk or yogurt and drizzle with honey and/or top with fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment